Lafayette Louisiana Personal Injury Lawyers | Lafayette Personal Injury Attorneys
Personal Injury Law in Lafayette and Lafayette Parish, Louisiana
Lafayette is a city located in Lafayette Parish, as well as the Parish seat of Lafayette Parish, Louisiana. According to the 2010 census, Lafayette's population of 120,623 makes Lafayette the fourth largest city in Louisiana. Lafayette, like most cities in this region continue to recover and overcome from recent natural disasters, and although Lafayette was once an agricultural leader, gas and petroleum have taken over, and most recently, the medical industry has gained economical momentum in the Lafayette region.
As noted earlier, Lafayette is rapidly growing as the region recovers from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. As inhabitants of an incredibly diverse and unique area, residents of Lafayette are involved in a broad array of professions and activities, which bring with them diverse and unique risks. Lafayette is home to large tourism and hospitality industries and the surrounding area is traditionally home to seafood businesses. Nearby port of South Louisiana is part of the largest port system in the country, handling more shipping by tonnage than any other U.S. port. This equates to a variety of work-related injuries as well as claims based in maritime law for many Lafayette residents.
The Lafayette area is also home to a variety of oil, energy, and chemical jobs. Workers in these fields might be injured on the job as a result of chemical or mechanical processes, sometimes suffering devastating bodily injuries. The BP Oil disaster is just one of many examples. The unique nature of Lafayette also means that citizens face unique situations that can lead to injuries. From drunk drivers to hurricanes and oil spills, the residents of Lafayette face a variety of dangers every day.
What kinds of cases do Lafayette Personal Injury Attorneys and Lawyers handle?
Lafayette personal injury attorneys often have an undeserved reputation for being "ambulance chasers." Some people believe that an attorney in Lafayette will only want to take slip and fall cases. This is simply not the case. A Lafayette Parish Injury Lawyer often will be familiar with many types of injuries, including financial injuries. More importantly, Lafayette accident attorneys and Lafayette Injury Lawyers play an important role in protecting the financial and legal rights injured people and their family members. Just some of the types of cases which a Lafayette, LA accident attorney can handle throughout the State of Louisiana are:
- Lafayette Personal Injury Lawyer
- Lafayette Accident Lawyer
- Lafayette Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Lafayette Punitive Damages Lawyer
- Lafayette Product Defect Lawyer
- Lafayette Professional Malpractice Lawyer
- Lafayette Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Lafayette Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
- Lafayette Real Estate Malpractice Lawyer
- Lafayette Stockbroker Malpractice Lawyer
- Lafayette Legal Malpractice Lawyer
- Lafayette Amusement Park Injury Lawyer
- Lafayette Dog Bite Lawyer
- Lafayette Denied Insurance Claim Lawyer
- Government Liability - City of Lafayette, and State of Louisiana Liability Lawyer
- Lafayette Federal Government Liability Lawyer
- Lafayette Louisiana Tort Claims Act Lawyer
- Lafayette Expert Witness Trial Lawyer
Lafayette Civil Trial Law Specialist Lawyer
There are endless types of injuries and was to become injured in the Lafayette area. Many of them have lasting effects on the victim's life including their ability to work, their family life, and recreation. A Lafayette Accident Lawyer can advise a victim or their family of their legal rights. Lafayette Accident Attorneys can also help you locate the best medical care. Although no one can truly fix the emotional or physical damages caused by a personal injury, an Lafayette personal injury lawyer will often be able to get you financial compensation to provide for you, take care of your family if you cannot work, and cover past and future medical expenses.
Why should you contact a Lafayette Personal Injury Lawyer?
Nearly every Louisiana personal injury case involves insurance companies, and as you surely know, insurance companies can be frustrating and difficult to work with. A trained Louisiana personal injury attorney has experience working and dealing with insurance companies. A Lafayette personal injury attorney can help you negotiate a settlement or, if necessary, take your case to court so can you get the compensation you are entitled to under Louisiana law.
Winning a personal injury lawsuit in court can be an extremely complicated task, especially for an untrained person who might not understand the legal concepts involved. There are many deadlines and formal requirements that can be extremely confusing. Even trained attorneys who are experienced in personal injury law need to use medical and scientific experts to prove that an injury occurred and that the person being sued was at fault. A Lafayette personal injury lawyer will explain to you the various legal doctrines that could allow you to recover money, such as negligence, strict liability, or intentional tort.
In a negligence-based case in Louisiana, you must prove:
- The person or party that caused your injury owed you a duty of care, but did not live up to that duty;
- There was sufficient causation, or connection, between that person’s action and your injury to constitute a breach of their duty to you; and
- You suffered compensable damages as a result. The analysis only becomes more complicated in a strict liability case, where you seek to hold the defendant responsible for your injuries regardless of fault, or negligence.
Finally, a Lafayette accident attorney or Lafayette personal injury attorney can help you determine what your claim is worth and which damages you can likely recover. Under Louisiana law, a defendant found legally responsible for your injury is often liable for:
• Past, current, and future estimated medical expenses
• Time off from work due to injury, including lost wages and lost earning capacity
• Property damage, such as damage to your car during an automobile accident
• The cost of hiring help to perform household chores you couldn't perform because of your injury
• Damages for permanent disfigurement or disability
• Emotional distress, including anxiety, depression, interference with family relationships, loss of consortium and loss of enjoyment of life
• Other expenses that are a direct result of your injury
For more information on which damages you may be entitled to, including punitive damages and damages for specific types of injuries and wrongful death, please refer to the page on Lafayette, LA Personal Injury Damages.
Lafayette, Louisiana personal injury lawyers represent not only accident victims but also their families and spouses in cases throughout the Greater Lafayette area. If you or a family member has been injured, you may be able to recover for medical expenses as well as other types of damages. Contact one of the experienced Lafayette personal injury attorneys listed in the top left corner of this page to represent you and protect your rights.
How long do I have to file a Personal Injury Claim in Louisiana?
Under Louisiana’s period of prescription, you only have one (1) year to file a personal injury claim against the party or people that caused your injury. You should consult a Lafayette accident lawyer or a Southern Louisiana personal injury attorney to review your claim and pursue legal action before Louisiana’s one-year prescriptive period has expired.
What other types of injuries can a Lafayette Injury Lawyer help with?
- Lafayette Dangerous Drug Lawyer
- Lafayette Recalled Medical Implant Lawyer
- Lafayette Car Accident Lawyer
- Lafayette Drunk Driver Accident Lawyer
- Lafayette Tractor Trailer Wreck Lawyer
- Lafayette Workers' Compensation Lawyer
- Lafayette Construction Accident Lawyer
- Lafayette Maritime Lawyer
- Lafayette Boat Accident Lawyer
- Lafayette Cruise Ship Injury Lawyer
- Lafayette Railroad Injury Lawyer
- Lafayette Slip & Fall Lawyer
How much does it cost to hire a Lafayette Personal Injury Attorney?
Lafayette Personal Injury Attorneys normally work on a Contingency Fee basis. This means that they only get paid if you get paid. Normally, the fee for an Lafayette Accident Lawyer can range from 30-40%.
Qualified Lafayette trial attorneys are capable of investigating, preparing, presenting, and filing your lawsuit at all levels of the state and federal courts.
Hospitals in the Greater Lafayette Area:
When you are injured in the Lafayette Area, you may need immediate medical treatment. Always be sure to contact a Lafayette Parish Accident Attorney as soon as you have received medical treatment.The following are some local hospitals in the Lafayette area:
Iberia Medical Center
2315 East Main
New Iberia, LA 70560
Phoenix Behavioral Hospital of Eunice
2021 Crowley-Rayne Highway
Rayne, LA 70578
VA Medical Center
2495 Shreveport Highway 71 North
Pineville, LA 71360
MeadowBrook Specialty Hospital of Lafayette
204 Energy Parkway
Lafayette, LA 70508
Lafayette General Medical Center
1214 Coolidge Avenue
Lafayette, LA 70503
Our Lady of Lourdes Regional Medical Center
611 St. Landry Street
Lafayette, LA 70506
The Regional Medical Center of Acadiana
2810 Ambassador Caffery Parkway
Lafayette, LA 70506
University Medical Center
2390 West Congress Street
Lafayette, LA 70506
Lafayette Surgical Specialty Hospital
1101 Kaliste Saloom
Lafayette, LA 70508
Heart Hospital of Lafayette
1105 Kaliste Saloom Road
Lafayette, LA 70508
Knowing who to call in case of a Lafayette Injury or Accident is essential. You should have the contact information for local emergency services written down and stored in an easy-to-access location. If you have been hurt, call these emergency first responders before contacting a Lafayette Parish Personal Injury Lawyer:
Lafayette Police Department
900 East University Avenue
Lafayette, LA 70502
Lafayette Fire Department
300 North Dugas Road
Lafayette, LA 70507
Louisiana State Police (Highway Patrol)
121 East Pont Des Mouton
Lafayette, LA 70507
800 South Buchanan Street
Lafayette, LA 70501-6853
Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development
1201 Capitol Access Road
Baton Rouge, LA 70802